Saturday, November 21, 2009

Week 10 Muddiest Point

I'm really intrigued by the deep web. I think it would be an excellent thing if it gained greater visibility. The question is, how can this be done? People most often find websites through search engines, and the reason that these websites are on the search engines is that other people have found them previously and supplied links to them. It's a bit of a cycle. The most popular sites gain more popularity because of the fact they are already popular. Therefore, how do we introduce virtually unknown sites, like those found in the deep web, to the average web surfer? Or, will we only be able to benefit from these websites if we go beyond the search engine?

1 comment:

  1. I found it odd that there were hidden search engines...it seems so odd to "hide" information. I used a couple of the sites discussed in the article and found them to be average. I think the only time a deep web search engine would be appropriate is for a private company or a medicial organization. What is beyond, I don't know but it seems like we are still discovering layers of information.

    ReplyDelete